[plt-dev] searching for bitmap% via f1 on mac os x

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Feb 28 07:42:21 EST 2009

On Feb 28, Thomas Chust wrote:
> 2009-02.28 Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>:
> > [...]
> > browser-run: process execute failed: (#<path:/usr/bin/osascript> "-e"
> > "open location \"file:///Users/robby/Library/PLT%20Scheme/4.1.4.3/doc/search/index.html?q=bitmap%25\"")
> > [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> out of curiosity: Is there any particular reason why PLT Scheme
> doesn't use the LaunchServices API to open the URL instead of
> executing an external command?

Much easier to implement, and extremely negligible cost (compared to
starting your browser and making it render a documentation page).

> And if it is necessary to use an external command, why does it have
> to be that complicated instead of just running /usr/bin/open <URL>?

That, I don't know.  Robby -- while you're having this problem (it
looks like it's not consistent), maybe you can try to change to the
above and see if it works better?  (The change in net/sendurl.ss
should be very easy.)