[plt-dev] guide vs reference

From: Jon Rafkind (rafkind at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 14 14:34:27 EST 2009

On 12/14/2009 12:28 PM, Sam TH wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Jon Rafkind<rafkind at cs.utah.edu>  wrote:
>
>> What is the reason that the guide is separate from the reference? They seem
>> close enough to me to warrant merging them.
>>
> I think having both is very important.  Compare:
>
> http://docs.plt-scheme.org/reference/stx-patterns.html#%28form._%28%28lib._scheme/private/stxcase-scheme..ss%29._syntax-rules%29%29
>
> which is usually what I would want if I was looking something up while
> programming, and
>
> http://docs.plt-scheme.org/guide/pattern-macros.html#%28part._define-syntax_and_syntax-rules%29
>
> which is what I point people to when the need to learn about writing
> macros with `syntax-rules'.
>
> I don't think either would be served by combining them.

Ok, then taking Matthew's point into account how about a long term
solution of adding little links next to every function in the reference
to its corresponding guide text? I tend not to look at the yellow boxes
on the right becuase.. thats just how I read the webpage.

Posted on the dev mailing list.