[plt-dev] guide vs reference

From: Jon Rafkind (rafkind at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 14 14:18:12 EST 2009

What is the reason that the guide is separate from the reference? They
seem close enough to me to warrant merging them.

I have some text to update `parameterize' and it looks like the text
should go into the guide but I personally almost never read the guide
and would prefer it in the reference. Separating the guide from the
reference, even if a good idea logically, only seems to have negative
practical ramifications. When I go to look up some function in the PLT
manual I usually end up at the reference and just read that. While its
true that there are links from the reference to the guide, I usually
ignore them (ok my fault) but if I'm going to have to read the reference
and the guide they might as well be the same document.

The first two sections of the guide seem like they don't belong in the
reference, but every section after 2 has a bit of overlap with the
reference.

Posted on the dev mailing list.