[plt-dev] Plans for Unsafe f64vectors

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 14:15:33 EST 2009

Matthew,

I'm back looking into an efficient homogeneous array implementation to
underlie a Matlab-like capability for PLT Scheme. My reference
implementation sits on top of SRFI 4 (which I believe sits on to of
scheme/foreign), but has rather poor performance. I've seen a couple
references to unsafe f64vector operations on the mailing list and looked at
them in the subversion build. Is there a long-term plan for performance
improvements for homogeneous vectors? Can this be extended to include other
homogeneous vector types (single floats and various sizes of signed and
unsigned integers)? This could provide a sound and efficient basis for an
efficient homogeneous array implementation.

Doug