[plt-dev] Re: launchpad instead of gnats?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Dec 11 05:19:17 EST 2009

On Dec 11, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:17:42 -0500
> Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>
> > So everyone will need to have a launchpad account?
>
> Yes.  I had to get a launchpad account in order to submit a bug
> report to ikarus, a while back (July).  I don't know how significant
> being able to receive bug reports from the hoi-polloi is, but I
> nearly didn't bother, that time.
>
> Most bugzillas that I know require accounts too, and so quite a few
> of my bug reports to projects that use them have been left in my
> scrap book.

(The advantage of locally operated systems like bugzilla and gnats is
that you can do whatever you want...)

> Maybe you could have an e-mail address for ad-hoc bug reports
> that is watched/gatewayed/filtered by an insider with a
> launchpad account?

Sounds like something like that would be needed -- hopefully in a form
that can be automated (given that it requires pgp for bug submissions
via email).

On Dec 11, Geoffrey S. Knauth wrote:
> If magically a switch from gnats to launchpad happens and people are
> happy with it, are there DrScheme versions out in the world that
> will still default to reporting bugs the current way?

DrScheme should still be able to submit bug reports, of course -- and
given that old versions will not disappear in one day, there should be
some facility that will get reports sent from existing drschemes (a
cgi script) and translate them to any new system that is used.