[plt-dev] Re: launchpad instead of gnats?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Dec 10 17:17:42 EST 2009

On Dec 10, Sam TH wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > * Can it do what gnats is doing?  Specifically,
> >  - the nag thing,
>
> I don't know, but is it that important?

Important enough to make me do it.

> I just ignore that email.

...and there's nothing like such sentences to make you feel good about
slaving on such features.

> > * How much work is involved in migrating the current DB over?  (It's
> >  big.)
>
> They have an XML import format.  You can see the spec here:
> https://help.launchpad.net/Bugs/ImportFormat

Did you try to estimate how much work it is to convert the current DB?

> > * How much work is involved in having users set up?  (Ideally, a
> >  single upload of a list of emails would be good; worst is when
> >  that's not possible *and* everyone needs to register individually
> >  with launchpad.)
>
> Here's an example of how this was done:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/jamesh/2007/11/28/inkscape-migrated-to-launchpad/

So everyone will need to have a launchpad account?

> > * Is it possible to download all the bugs back from them?  (In case
> >  that's needed -- for example, you needed it once, IIRC.)
>
> That blog post mentions that they provide XML dumps on request.

You mean request some human or some automated way?

> > * How reliable are they?
>
> More reliable than we can be by ourselves.  They're used by lots of
> free software projects, as well as by Ubuntu itself (for source
> control, translations and other things as well as bug tracking).

SF is also used by lots of free software projects, yet it has a
horrible interface, and it's excruciatingly slow.