[plt-dev] Re: launchpad instead of gnats?

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 10 16:54:03 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Sam TH <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> [ I've talked a little bit with Sam about this already -- this message
>> is intended to restart the discussion w/ a wider audience. ]
>>
>> Eli, Sam: what do you guys think about using launchpad to do our bug
>> tracking work, instead of gnats?
>>
>> I see the two main advantages: a) it is easier to work with and should
>> help us keep track of our bug reports more effectively and b) someone
>> else (not us!) runs the site.
>
> I strongly support doing this: we don't have infinite sysadmin
> resources, and I would really like to have a better bug-tracking
> system.

I like this idea as well.  The current system is broken for lots of
useful kinds of searching and filtering, meaning I pretty much never
pay attention to bugs in the database.  If something is important, I
fix it right away; if it is not, it goes into the bit-bucket.  Having
a system I can actually search, with a maintainer that doesn't have a
dozen things more important than fixing the bug server on their plate,
sounds like a big win to me.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.