[plt-dev] Parallel Futures Release

From: Sam TH (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 7 14:13:15 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:31 PM, James Swaine <james.swaine at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the initial release of parallel futures, a
> construct for fine-grained parallelism in PLT. Roughly speaking, a
> programmer passes a thunk to 'future' and it gets run in parallel.
> That "roughly" holds a few gotchas, partly because we're just getting
> started and partly due to the technique we're using. See the
> documentation for more details:

A question about the semantics:

When a `future' blocks because it calls a non-threadsafe primitive,
why not put it in a new `thread', so that it continues to run
concurrently, rather than blocking?  That way if the main thread
blocks (waiting for input, or something like that), the computation
would continue.
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.