[plt-dev] DrScheme's zippyness: linux & fonts

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Aug 25 08:31:33 EDT 2009

On Aug 25, Sam TH wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Eli Barzilay<eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > On Aug 24, Robby Findler wrote:
> >>
> >> Just to give you some sense of this, on my machine the times range
> >> from 3 msec to 275 msec, a huge range! Also note that you may want
> >> to run the code multiple times; it sometimes gives bad results (I'm
> >> not sure why).
>
> For me (on a brand-new Linux desktop), it was necessary to go from
> 100 to 1000 iterations.  With only 100, all the times were very
> short, and the fancy fonts were fastest.  With 1000, the results
> made more sense, with the fancy fonts being slower.

Ah, that helped -- raising it to 10000 I got some differences, going
from 34ms to around 1s.

BTW, there is a MS font, Consolas, that works very nicely for hacking.
I use it in Emacs -- but for DrScheme Inconsolata (which is a free
font that is trying to have a similar look) is also very good.

(I prefer Consolas since it's a little bolder, but it has the
typographically-correct-therefore-imbalanced backquote/quote pair.  In
Emacs I can hack around this by making these characters render as the
unicode left/right quotes.  Inconsolata has intentionally made the
shapes closer to being balanced than the default (but not
completely).)