PLaneT and automatic compilation bad interaction (was Re: [plt-dev] Re: problem with optimistic compilation)

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 19 09:12:44 EDT 2009

At Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:31:17 -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> At this point, it seemed to me that it would be hopeless to try to get
> the original values of the scheme/base parameters (specifically
> current-compile),

I think we should work on making this possible. A program might set all
sorts of parameters before (dynamically) requiring a Planet path. Those
settings should apply while loading the package's modules after it's
installed, but they shouldn't affect installation of the package.
Installation should always act the same --- as if a completely new
OS-level process was started to install the package.

I don't immediately know how to make that work (without actually
starting a process), but that seems like the right path.

Posted on the dev mailing list.