[plt-dev] Re: problem with optimistic compilation

From: Faré (fahree at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 13 09:14:24 EDT 2009

All of these issues would be solved if mzscheme had a *pure* approach
to managing compilation state: a given pathname, if naming an actual
file, should only possibly contain a uniquely identified content.

Example implementation (used by OMake?): the name of the object file
is a hash based on the name of the source file, the hash of its
contents, the hash of any other dependency read during compilation,
the hash of the implementation itself.

Simpler approximation (used by cl-launch): include the directory name
for your object cache the version of the implementation, the
architecture, the path of the source file, etc., and otherwise use
timestamps to detect that source files have changed.

Note that with a simple atomicity trick (atomic rename of a temporary
file) you also solve all the concurrency issues (e.g. NFS home
directory in which several versions of DrScheme run on multiple
machines try to share their cache).

Functional purity can make whole categories of problems disappear. Whodathunk?

When a pamphlet was published entitled "100 Authors Against Einstein", Einstein
retorted "If I were wrong, one would be enough."

Posted on the dev mailing list.