[plt-dev] Re: problem with optimistic compilation

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 12 19:49:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Sam TH<samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> What if mzscheme-compiled files already exist?  Does it use those?

Yes. With preference given to the drscheme ones.

> If
> it doesn't, won't it recompile the entire collects tree the first time
> you try to do anything?

No, the "don't save any compiled files for anything in the collects
tree" caveat is still in place, as before.

> Also, this seems like it's papering over the problem.  We should be
> able to come up with a solution that works for both DrScheme and
> mzscheme.

I'll leave this one to Matthew to try to explain. I think you're
probably wrong, but I'm not sure precisely why. It is a big hairy
mess.

I think the short version is that unless you're willing to take over
responsibility for this thing (which means, I think, compiler/cm -- I
can handle setting various parameters and loading the libraries into
drscheme) this line of inquiry won't go anywhere.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.