[plt-dev] Re: [plt-translators] Translations for test engine

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 22 13:41:35 EDT 2009

I've redirected the cc's to plt-dev. (please do the same.)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Michael Sperber
<sperber at deinprogramm.de> wrote:

> Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> writes:
>
>> The test suite engine kind of straddles this world, so as long as
>> you're careful to do the same straddling, then you should be safe. But
>> do note that this means you should not be using the string-constant
>> form on code that runs as part of the user's program (since it expands
>> into code that might touch the preferences file).
>
> I still don't understand: Of course, the test cases are run by the
> user's program, and the error messages are caused by that program, too.
> But the user's program doesn't expand into code that uses the string
> constants---rather, it calls out to that code.

If you're happy with your code only working in drscheme, that's fine.
But I wouldn't be happy with that for the HtDP teaching languages.

In general, the HtDP teaching languages code does not depend on the
drscheme-level preferences and I would prefer to keep it that way.

I'm not sure what Matthias okay'd, but I don't think he would/should
have okay'd that.

The solution seems pretty straightforward, however -- just don't use
string-constants for this. Have two versions of the testing library, a
german one and an english one and just load the right one in the right
teaching language.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.