[plt-dev] Re: drscheme window sizes

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz (jao at gnu.org)
Date: Thu Apr 16 03:03:00 EDT 2009

Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>
writes:

> There isn't anything you can easily do, I'm sorry to say (besides
> trying the keyboard, things like return or esc). Is there a way to get
> a WM that has a larger virtual space than the physical space? Or maybe
> setting a smaller font (temporarily?)

The virtual space size can be tweaked in the X11 configuration, yes
(although it's a bit inconvenient). I already tried reducing the font
size, but it was not enough. What i've finally done is configuring things
in another machine and copying plt-prefs.ss to the netbook, manually
editing it as needed.

> The only thing to do at the drscheme level is to change the dialog so
> that it has fewer controls (or re-distribute them to take less
> vertical space).

Given the raising popularity of netbooks with small vertical space
available, perhaps it'd be a good thing (in a future release) to
redistribute controls automatically if the situation is detected... just
a thought (unfortunately, i know nearly nothing about Framework, so i'm
talking out of my hat).

Thanks for the quick response anyway!

Cheers,
jao
--
We shall do a much better programming job, provided we approach the
task with a full appreciation of its tremendous difficulty, provided