[plt-dev] Statistical profiler & graph layout

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Apr 5 22:16:22 EDT 2009

As some people have noticed, I have committed a statistical profiler
that is similar in style to profiles like gprof.  This is not finished
yet -- the plan is to have a GUI front end to conveniently visualize
the call graph, and make that front end available as a DrScheme tool.

I have most of the GUI done, but I'm stuck on getting a sane layout
algorithm.  I've tried to find information about the Sugiyama
algorithm for graph layout, which is (IIUC) the basis for the layout
that `dot' (from the graphviz suite) is doing -- but I'm stuck on some
of the obscure details.

In case anyone knows about graph layout algorithms, please contact me
off-list.  Alternatively, if someone has a copy of

  Graph Drawing: Algorithms for the Visualization of Graphs
  Tollis, Di Battista, Eades & Tamassia

then please contact me too.  (As much as I looked, this looks like it
might have a usable description of the algorithm.)